Re: If not GFDL, then what?

On 2003-10-11 17:24:23 +0100 Mark Pilgrim <f8dy@diveintomark.org> wrote:

1. Give away my book for free.

I don't think any free software licence will prevent that.

2. Force translations and all derivative works to remain free.
3. Force my editor's contributions to remain free.

This means that you should look for a sort of "copyleft" licence, assuming that you mean free as in freedom.

4. Allow Apress to publish the book commercially.

No free software licence should prevent this.

5. Put the book in Debian main.

This requires a free software licence.

What license would you recommend for that?

If you want to be on safe ground for Debian main, start by considering the GPL v2, the LDPL v2 or the Sun documentation licence. I'm not 100% clear on which of the CC licences are regarded as meeting DFSG (too many combinations), or whether the Design Science Licence is suitable for this. I think the DSL also has some warts that need cutting off (such as restricting quoting to "fair use" limits that don't always exist AIUI).

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at