Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003, Gabucino wrote:
>  - marking the changes made on imported libraries. This would
>    currently include: libfaad2, libmpflac, libmpdvdkit2, libmpeg2.
>    Let me clarify the situation.

[SNIP -- These all seem to be packaging considerations and as such are
orthogonal to the legal ramifications of mplayer.]

>     d, libmpeg2 - We - the core developers - do not intend to waste
>	time searching for modification dates and such (nor do we know
>	what exactly you wish for),

All that's needed is to comply with GPL 2a [and probably for any other
GPLed libraries which you've included and modified from various
sources in mplayer.]

GPL 2a for reference:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
    stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

> By the way, MPlayer also contains a LICENSE file, which - AFAIK -
> negliges the neccessity of GPL header inclusion in each of the source
> files.

It actually doesn't. You should include the copyright information in
each of the files, and you must in cases where mplayer doesn't hold
the copyright. [It's just a good practice as well, because it makes it
clear where your code came from and how it is licensed if it ever is
separated from the codebase -- which is usefull in case someone wants
to fork mplayer or use sections of it in another program.]

Don Armstrong

"It's not Hollywood. War is real, war is primarily not about defeat or
victory, it is about death. I've seen thousands and thousands of dead
bodies. Do you think I want to have an academic debate on this
 -- Robert Fisk