Re: snippets

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 21:12, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
>       Currently we to my knowledge have one (1) package containing
>       "dingleberries", which I will define as materials that we feel
>       must be removed for license reasons from the upstream tarball in
>       order to make the debian .orig.tarball.  This is the linux
>       kernel, which contains binary firmware sans source which must be
>       removed.  As the kernel packagers will I'm sure confirm, that is
>       a pain in the tush.

XFree86 has numerous non-free parts to it, which Branden and the rest of
the XSF painstakingly remove.

I reviewed the CSound packages for Hans Fugal earlier this year, and one
of my comments was that the two non-free files in it had to be gone from
the orig.tar.gz (he had already removed them from the binary); as CSound
is now in the archive, I imagine he's done this.

pydance, which I maintain, contains non-free files, which I remove from
the upstream tarball.

I'm sure there are many others; I only know of the first because it's a
common example, and the other two because I was immediately involved
with them.

One of the reasons I like Debian is because the maintainers care about
stuff like this. I'm assured that free means *totally* free, all of it,
even when upstream ships non-free software (including "dingleberries").
I didn't agree to the SC only when convenient for me as a packager - I
agreed that Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software, regardless of the
work it takes me.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>