Re: PennMUSH license concerns.

Joel Baker wrote:
On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:54:26PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

[snip]
If some copyright holder somwhere feels his privileges are being
infringed, then the onus is on them to bring the issue to our attention.
We have been anything but careless.  I do not think it is reasonable to
expect the Debian Project or the other PennMUSH copyright holders to go
to lengths usually reserved for tracking down wanted criminals to locate
other copyright holders whose intentions can be reasonably conjectured.

Sorry it took a while to reply; I was waiting to see if anyone else had
input, then got distracted by a new job, and all that goes with it. I don't
have any issue with this opinion; I merely wanted to ensure that the issue
had, in fact, been considered and that we were knowingly taking this path,
rather than carelessly defaulting to it.

Note that this also applies to the TinyMUSH 3.0 ITP, which had the same
situation, and is thus resolved in the same manner.

I'd like to thank you both for responding, and apologize for my delay in doing so. I'm, of course, glad that the opinions on the matter have primarily indicated that the steps taken by the PennMUSH team in relicensing satisfy the policies and expectations of the Debian Project.

Additionally, Mr. Baker, I'd like to inquire about the relicensing of TinyMUSH 2.2.4 U1, which you mentioned as a possibility in your response to my initial message. I know that Alan Schwartz would appreciate a letter regarding such relicensing, to essentially settle concerns regarding the legitimacy of PennMUSH's relicensed status. As far as we are aware, none of 2.2.4 U1's code made its way into PennMUSH even indirectly, but it is certainly better to cover the possibility than to ignore it.

-
Ervin