Re: snippets

On 2003-09-29, Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:01:19AM -0400, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
>> Burden of proof arguments are, at best, very trick to make -- I
>> suggest you not rely on it.  Certainly I don't buy it in this case.
>> Unless you can actually point to someplace that says this is current
>> practice, I don't think you have a basis for saying that it is
>> actually a conscious practice at all.
>
> Well... you would have to claim that the people who drafted and
> discussed the Social Contract, and the 90 who voted for it, were
> unaware of the GNU Manifesto and its presence in the emacs packages.
> This is an extraordinary claim.  The document was, if anything,
> better known then than it is now (at least if you divide by the
> size of the free software community).  I certainly knew about it
> long before I got involved with Debian.

Had all 90 people aware of/thought about the non-modifiability of the
GNU Manifesto?  For myself, I read the GNU Manifesto in the emacs
distribution long before Debian existed, but I don't think I thought
much about the fact that it was non-modifiable until recently.

Good point, though.

Peace,
	Dylan