Re: snippets [was Re: Respect for Upstream Authors and Snippets of Interest]

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 01:09:14PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> *** BY MY DEFINITION:
> ***
> *** A "snippet" is a file in a source tarball which:
> ***
> ***  - MERELY ACCOMPANIES and is not an integral part of the source
> ***  - is REMOVABLE
> ***  - is NON-FUNCTIONAL (not code, not documentation, not needed for build)
> ***  - is NON-TECHNICAL in nature
> ***  - is usually of historic, humorous, or prurient interest
> ***  - is usually NOT itself MODIFIABLE, eg "may redistribute verbatim"
> ***  - is very SMALL compared to the technical material it accompanies
> ***
> *** (Good examples of such snippets are historic or humorous emails
> *** and usenet posts, political essays, jokes, and the like.)

I think this is a good definition, and I also see no reason to remove
these.  I've never minded their presence before, except that I thought
some of them to be bloat.

> Like chocolate sprinkles, they should not be overused.

You'll need a different example here.  It is not possible to overuse
chocolate sprinkles.

Richard Braakman