Re: What does GFDL do?

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     There's a critical difference here. The GPL can accompany the
>>     reference card. The invariant material must be in the reference
>>     card.
>>
>> I explained months ago, and again last week, why this is not so.
>
> I must have missed that explanation. Can you provide a reference to it?
>
> From a relatively strict reading of the license, however, I see no
> indication of a method which you could distribute the reference card
> with the license and invariant sections not merely accompanying, but
> affixed.
>
> Perhaps you or someone else could walk through and explain the
> verbiage of the license that allows one to do this?

The explanation used in the past was that the license could be in a
separate volume of the document: so I could distribute a hardy
plastic-coated titanium reference card, and accompany it with a
small-print onionskin on which is printed the GFDL and any invariant
sections.

If I distribute in quantity, of course, I have to include a CD with a
transparent format of my work, despite the fact that---since I used
Framemaker to design the card---this is not the source and is an
awkward position from which to begin producing such a card.

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/