Re: License requirements for DSP binaries?

Le lun 22/09/2003 à 09:46, Glenn Maynard a écrit :
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:47:26AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > IBM distributes the Linux driver and the binaries in a tarball that
> > it says is licensed under the GPL.
> >      http://oss.software.ibm.com/acpmodem/
> > No source code is provided for the DSP binaries.  (N.B., past
> > discussions of this issue have reached the conclusion that such
> > software can nevertheless be distributed in main.)
>
> If it's licensed under the GPL, and no source is provided, then it can
> not be distributed at all, not even in non-free, unless there never was
> source to begin with.  (I assume this isn't the case, as you said "no
> source code is provided", not "no source code exists".)

If the binaries were entirely written using assembly code, the binary
here equates the source. But if they were written using a higher-level
language, it makes them more hardly suitable for main. However, if
modifying them is achievable and potentially useful, they could be
considered the same as bitmap pictures when the layered source is
missing.