Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:52:27AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> The swirl should be made free, since it's packaged.
>
> The bottle has another purpose and is _not_ packaged.

Actually, I think both should be free in terms of copyright.
We should use trademark law for trademarks, and not try to
use copyright for that.  We've been telling this to software
authors for years :-)

Fortunately, SPI is now taking steps to correct this problem,
so as far as I'm concerned we're done with it on debian-legal.
The procedure for coming up with a trademark license is currently
being discussed on debian-project.

--
Richard Braakman

There's still time to save Europe from software patents.
EuropeSwPatentFree - http://EuropeSwPatentFree.internautas.org