Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le sam 20/09/2003 à 23:27, Richard Stallman a écrit :
> > The DFSG is written as if the system consists entirely of programs and
> > contains nothing else.
>
> This is bullshit. Just read the DFSG, and you will see they can be
> applied to anything that we put on our CD's and FTP's. Writing specific
> guidelines for documentation or data would lead straightly to the same
> definition.

s/DFSG/Social  Contract #5/ ;-)  (ok the  DFSG is  part of  the social
contract)

So  if you  take the  document from  the Gutenberg[1]  project,  is it
software for  you ?  and you  have to apply  the rule of DFSG  for the
books of  Steven Levy or  Victor Hugo ?  Would you modify  the various
books  ?   A  book  is  not   software  and  this  is   not  the  same
definition.  The  freedom  objectives   are  the  same  but  they  are
small differences.

[1] The vast majority of Gutenberg  books are in public domain. So you
are allowed to make a lot of thing with the books.

--
-- 	  	     Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
-- 	   http://pgp.ael.be:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x44E6CBCD