Re: Wolfenstein 3D license

Ryan Underwood wrote:
> I am trying to get my improved fork of the icculus Wolf3d ready for
> release.  There are tons of new features, but I am unclear on the
> license.
>
> The original license supplied with the wolf3d sources (released in 1995)
> seems to be the same license that the proprietary wolf3d itself was
> distributed under.  It is attached to this message.  I see no mention of
> the GPL or any other license terms, that are mentioned apart from this
> license document in the original distribution.
>
> However, I see wolf3d mods all over the internet such as Wolf3D-GL that
> are supposedly released under a GPL license.  In fact, every mod I've
> run across while googling have all been under GPL.  But, I can't find a
> reference to this code ever being released under the GPL.
>
> I prodded johnc about it a few months ago but never received a reply
> (unsurprisingly).  Does anyone have any more information about the
> licensing status of the wolf3d source code?
>
> I've attached the 3 files that were included in the readme/ directory
> under the original wolf3d source release. (license.doc is a plaintext
> file.)
>
> Have I overlooked something, or is every single wolf3d mod that hasn't
> been ground-up rewritten violating the license terms?

My memory is very foggy, but IIRC Id's releases of source tend to be a
dump of some old snapshot of their source made some time ago, and then
they'll slap a GPL file in the toplevel directory. The intent is to
relicense it, but it leads to some confusing trees. They may have not
put the GPL in the tarball for wolf3d at all, and only made a statement
aout the source's license or added a sepeate file to their FTP site.
Then again, I could be confusing their release of wold3d with that of
doom. Try going back in the archives and finding the release
announcement for wold3d.

--
see shy jo