Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:
> On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 12:37 US/Eastern, Jeremy Hankins wrote:

>> But I'm not restricting someone's exercise of their rights when I
>> give them GPL works on DRM media and, at the same time, give them
>> source on a traditional CD.
>
> Sure you are. If you prevent people from copying the binary (for
> example), you are keeping them from exercising their rights under
> GPL Section 3.

The problem with this (other than the fact that it just seems silly)
is that that refers to the work, not a particular file.  The work
isn't just the binary, it includes the source too.  So what is it
precisely that I can't do when I get a copy of the source on CD and
the binary on DRM media?  I can make a copy of "the Program" from the
source, compile it, and do whatever I want.  Arguably, if special
tricks are required to get it on the DRM media, instructions on how to
do that would be part of the source, even.

So I just don't see that I'm actually being restricted here.  You
might as well say that it's a violation to distribute GPL binaries on
embedded devices, since it's often non-trivial to get in and copy
those specific bits as well.  How is that case any different from DRM
media?  (Hrm...  I wonder how embedded devices work with GFDL
stuff...?)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>