Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 17:59 US/Eastern, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

He is unrestricted in his exercise of his rights under the GPL: he can
copy the source, modify it for his purposes, and distribute it.

The GPL also gives rights to copy the binary, as a form of the program under section 3.

Actually, you *can* freely enforce restrictions on running the
software using technical methods: the act of running the program is
not covered by the GPL after all.

It also says "the act of running the Program is not restricted," so I'd guess that's a bug, especially in the face of the DMCA.

  You need to give people the legal
right and technical ability to modify that out of the software, but
you don't need to give them the technical ability to run the result.

In some respects, certainly not... in others, I'm not sure. It'd depend on if that was still "complete source", I suppose.