Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Saturday, Sep 13, 2003, at 10:05 US/Eastern, Andrew Suffield wrote:

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:50:17PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

"You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
exercise of the rights granted herein."

It is fairly clear to me that clause 6 of the GPL deals with
licensing, not technical restrictions.

No, it deals with all restrictions. Its the same section that prohibits me from having people sign agreements not to redistribute GPLd software I give them, for example. Or to get patents and stop people that way.

I'm pretty sure it says "...the recipients' EXERCISE of the rights..." not "...the recipient's rights..." for a good reason: That it is quite intended to stop me from doing _anything_, legal, technical, or otherwise, to keep people from using the rights given to them by the GPL.