Re: Software definition, was: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:13:31AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> I do not need dicofr to define the word Logiciel.

> But anyway, the following is the definition of the Academie Française:

>         1)*LOGICIEL n. m. XXe siècle. Dérivé de logique.
>
>         INFORM. Ensemble structuré de programmes remplissant une
>         fonction déterminée, permettant l'accomplissement d'une tâche
>         donnée. Logiciel de traitement de texte, de dessin. Logiciel
>         éducatif, pédagogique. Logiciel de simulation, de jeu. Le
>         logiciel d'exploitation d'un ordinateur. Il s'est substitué à
>         l'anglais Software, qui n'a plus à être employé.

> It's pretty clear. You may claim that the Academie Française and all
> the  French people use a corrupted definition of Logiciel (it's not
> that the etymology would says). But the French language is made by the
> French and by the Academie Française.

And the English language is not -- and the word 'logiciel' does not
appear in the Social Contract.  So while a look in a French dictionary
may shed some light on your chronic misunderstanding of this issue, it
certainly doesn't demand a re-evaluation of *our* position.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer