Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 03:14:10PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
>
> > That's one of those reasons whice are of no concern of ours. It's also
> > irrelevant. There are other reasons which led to "We must force the
> > permanent inclusion of our dogma in all our manuals", and none of
> > those are relevant either - none of them result in the FDL. The FSF
> > has chosen invariant sections as a goal in its own right.
>
> I don't know what those other reasons are; as far as I can tell, they
> haven't been published by the FSF.
>
> Nor has the FSF ever said that it has chosen invariant sections as a
> goal in its own right: and why would they?

I'm not really sure *why*, but RMS has been pretty clear in the past
few days.

> > > I believe this is a goal that Debian
> > > also shares.
> >
> > I'm not sure why you think that. Debian's goals are enumerated here:
> > http://www.debian.org/social_contract
> >
> > I don't see anything there which approximates:
> >
> > "to make sure that everyone who gets free software understands the
> > rights they have and the importance of free software."
> >
> > Debian has always been technically oriented, not politically.
>
> Debian's goals are enumerated in many many places.

Name these places.

> The Social
> Contract is just that, it is not the "definitive statement of Debian's
> goals".  In fact, it isn't a statement of *goals* at all.

So provide something which backs up your position, instead of
handwaving. I cited the only document I know of which covers this sort
of thing; do you have *anything* relevant in mind?

> > > Really?  Go look at the web page.
> >
> > I looked, and within 20 seconds I had found the exact opposite of the
> > stated goal of the FSF.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/intro/free
>
> Huh?  RIGHT THERE is a statement about why free software is
> important.  Now Debian does not in general adhere to the notion that
> the words "free software" are more important than the words "open
> source", though I would note that the former is vastly more common in
> Debian's own writing than the latter, so there is some kind of
> preference.
>
> Of course we do not agree with *every* goal of the FSF, nor should we.
>
> You said there were no attempts to express the importance of free
> software, and right there, on that page, is a description of the
> importance of free software.

And you consider this to be "doing an awful lot to try and make sure
[...]"? One purely descriptive page? Sorry, but you aren't being very
convincing here.

That aside, I was referencing the stated (by RMS, on this list, in the
past few days) goals of the FSF, rather than the one you have invented
and assigned to them.

> > Aside from this one page, I found nothing (in a few minutes browsing)
> > under www.debian.org that dealt with the subject of what and why free
> > software is. Hardly an "awful lot".
>
> The Social Contract also expresses this importance.  And the top level
> page does too.

I invite you to cite the text which you think says this, because I
sure can't see it - and these are not lengthly documents.

> As does www.debian.org/intro/about.  It is also discussed in the
> Debian GNU/Linux FAQ (www.debian.org/doc/FAQ).  That's just from about
> one minute of my quick look through the site map.

Again, despite your claims, there does not appear to be any such thing
in these documents. If you think otherwise, I again invite you to cite
the relevant text.

> > *How* is it an attempt to do that? Seems to me, it's an attempt to
> > meet our obligations of distributing the licenses in a suitably
> > prominent fashion.
>
> The licenses do not require the notice--not at all.

That's highly questionable. See clause 1 of the GPL, notably
"conspicuously and appropriately". We choose to satisfy clauses such
as this by putting notices in various places, including the default
motd.

> > I certainly can't see anything in that paragraph, or in
> > /usr/share/doc/*/copyright, which deals with "the importance of free
> > software".
>
> I took a look at /usr/share/common-licenses on my system, which
> contains the following files:
>
> Artistic  BSD  GPL  GPL-2  LGPL  LGPL-2  LGPL-2.1
>
> Of these seven, six of them contain descriptions about why free
> software is important.  All of them are concerned to explain the
> users' rights.

And that is relevant to the quoted paragraph how, exactly? It didn't
even mention common-licenses.

Also:

 - Two of those are symlinks, not regular files
 - The preamble in the (three) GPL variations is pretty much
   identical. Counting that five times is hardly sensible.
 - That's still one short, so I presume you are claiming that the
   Artistic license contains something equivalent, but I just read it,
   and it definitely doesn't. Obviously the BSD license does not.

> The licenses require that we distribute these, but I
> venture to say that even if they didn't we would still do so.

In the case of the GPL, we would not, because the text is
non-modifiable and therefore non-free.

Which reduces us to no such texts.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |