Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:44:47PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > The GFDL is not compatible with *ANY* free software license.
>
> How is this?  Many non-copyleft licenses have no "compatibility" at all.
> Most licenses don't have the compatibility requirements of the GPL that
> forbid linking it with code that has extra restrictions.  You can
> combine just about anything with 3-clause BSD-licensed software.

I'm sorry, I was too quick.  Combining the GFDL with any license
(whether free software or not) produces a work which, if software,
would not be accepted as free software at all.

So yes, you can combine the GFDL with BSD-licensed software, but the
result is not free software at all.  This is the central problem.