Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

Mathieu Roy said:
> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> a tapoté :
>> There is also the definition of transparent forms.  I can't distribute
>> GFDL'd documents I write in Openoffice or LyX.
>
> The fact that you cannot write GFDLed document with OpenOffice or LyX
> (which are not at all in a preferred form for modification) does not
> make documentation GFDLed that others persons wrote, in the preferred
> form for modification, non-free.

So the GFDL not only restricts you from storing works in certain formats
(those restricted by DRM measures), but even from creating them in certain
formats in the first place?

> If you write a GFDLed document with OpenOffice, you must provide along
> with the OpenOffice version another version, in a preferred form for
> modification. It's an obligation you accept to follow when you decide
> to license under the GFDL a documentation.

This is not an excessive burden?  In order to release a GFDL'd document, I
have to learn how to create paragraph markup in a GFDL-sanctioned "preferred
format", rather than just clicking "Bold" in OpenOffice?  I have to learn
how to create tables in TeX, rather than letting LyX take care of that?

--Joe