Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

Quoting Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org):

> B downloading from A is not a problem. The problem is: How can C get a
> valid contract from A, but he is downloading only from B? Well, A has
> said "GPLv2", and within the first condition he has given implicit
> permission to make a GPLv2-contract on his behalf to anyone who has a
> piece of GPLv2-source of him.

Under common law (and extensions such as the Uniform Commercial Code),
the required contract element of acceptance entails _communication_
of that acceptance to the offeror.  Obviously, C's acceptance per that
framework is legally problematic.

(Informally, one speaks of a "meeting of the minds" being required.)

--
Cheers,    "Cthulhu loves me, this I know; because the High Priests tell me so!
Rick Moen   He won't eat me, no, not yet.  He's my Elder God, dank and wet!"