Re: {debian-legal} Packaging arc

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:58:03PM +0200, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> My problem is this sentence in the Non-Free-license of arc:
>
>   2) ARC may ONLY be distributed in its original,
>      unmodified state.

Probably a dumb question, but is there any chance of finding the original
author and asking for him to relicense it?

> But I have to modify the source to fix a Y2K error and to do some
> adjustments to allow compiling on linux. Is there any chance to do these
> modifications and distribute the package in binary form in the non-free
> distribution of Debian? Or is the only chance to distribute it at all to
> build a "source package" with the original source code and a build-script in
> it?

If (2) above is a part of the license, then it sounds like a binary
modified distribution is illegal by the terms of the copyright license.

I'm not familiar with the rest of the license, but distributing an unmodified
original with a patch script might be possible. There have been other
programs with this type of restriction before. It would of course
still not be free...

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>