Packaging arc

Hello,

I'm interested in packaging the File Archive Utility "arc". I'm not sure if
there is an official "owner" any more. A current source code (Last change in
1991) can be found at various locations on the net, i.e. in the FreeBSD
project:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/archivers/arc

My problem is this sentence in the Non-Free-license of arc:

  2) ARC may ONLY be distributed in its original,
     unmodified state.

But I have to modify the source to fix a Y2K error and to do some
adjustments to allow compiling on linux. Is there any chance to do these
modifications and distribute the package in binary form in the non-free
distribution of Debian? Or is the only chance to distribute it at all to
build a "source package" with the original source code and a build-script in
it?

--
Bye, K <http://www.ailis.de/~k/> (FidoNet: 2:240/2188.18)
[A735 47EC D87B 1F15 C1E9  53D3 AA03 6173 A723 E391]