Inline text not URLs for licenses (was: Re: Is the OSL DFSG free?)

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 12:49 US/Eastern, Branden Robinson wrote:

When referring to a license, it's useful to provide a URL to the text of
the license in question.

I respectfully disagree. It's useful to provide the full text of the license in question, not just a URL.

Rationale:

	I often read this list in offline mode, which at lunch. I am now.
	IMAP makes it real easy to do that. I'm sure many others do, too.
	It's not possible to load URLs when I'm offline. Similar arguments
	apply to people who are on dialup and use, e.g., fetchmail to pull
	all their mail local and then read it offline. License texts are
	also generally fairly small, so the additional download time is
	negligible.

	Web sites can change, go 404-compliant, etc. If people are reading
	the list archive a year or so from now, those events are fairly
	likely. If the website has changed, much confusion will result;
	if it has vanished, it can be hard to find a new source of the
	information.

	People who aren't interested in license texts probably aren't on
	this mailing list, so there is minimal chance of filling up
	mailboxes with unwanted junk --- especially since licenses are
	small.

	If you're not running a web browser, starting one can take a fair
	amount of time, especially on a slower or memory hungry machine.

For these reasons, I believe we should ask for license texts, and other relevant, small documents, to be posted inline instead of being linked.