Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:12:38PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 05:26:27PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Licenses are primarily founded upon Contract Law, not Copyright Law.
> > Copyright Law is what grants you the rights to a work which you then
> > exchange or give away using a License or Contract. Contract Law is
> > what allows you to establish a legally binding document to exchange or
> > give away those rights or interests.
>
> http://www.ilaw.com.au/public/licencearticle.html , at least, disagrees
> with you.

I've read this a number of times in the past, and the fact that the
author completely misses the fact that indemnification _is_ the quo
part of "quid pro quo" makes the entire article uninteresting, since
everything is based on the premise that open source licenses aren't
contracts.

"I give you this copy of the software if you agree not to sue me
concerning it."

dave...