Re: UnrealIRCd License (Click-Through issue)

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:47:53AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> And: I don't know international law good enough to decide if (and
> when) german law is applicable to software in debian. It is certainly
> applicable between any german user and me, a german subject and
> resident. But almost everything else is discussable.

German law applies to anything it says it can apply to, if you can get
the defendant in the country. Extradition is an entirely different
matter.

For example, US law applies to everybody in the world, regardless of
whether they are a US citizen or have even been to the US (I believe
this is relatively unusual - to the best of my knowledge, UK law only
applies to people who are currently in a UK territory). However,
European countries won't normally[0] extradite people who haven't broken
any laws in their country of residence.

[0] Politics can and often does determine this, rather than the
    legal system

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |