Re: GPL preamble removal

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:13:14PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOmitPreamble
[...]
> > http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL
>
> This is not clear at all.  The preamble is integral and may not be removed,
> and the license permits only verbetim copying, but you can make changes as
> long as you remove the preamble, even though it just said you can do
> neither.  What?
>
> Is it trying to say that you can remove the preamble as long as you also
> make some kind of modification to the license text?  That would be
> strange (and pointless, I think; change some whitespace.)

I asked for clarification on this point months ago.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200305/msg00091.html

  From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
  To: gnu@gnu.org
  Cc: debian-legal@lists.debian.org
  Subject: the GPL FAQ on the copyrightability of the GPL's text
  Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 01:07:06 -0500

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:09:52 -0400, I received the following response from
Brett Smith:

  I am very sorry for the late response to this message.  Since we are a
  non-profit with very limited resources, messages to this address often get
  backlogged, and we are always struggling to catch up.

  Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns about this.
  I've brought the ambiguity to the attention of Richard Stallman, Bradley
  Kuhn, and Dave "novalis" Turner; hopefully we will be able to resolve the
  matter soon, and I will let you know when we do.

I've heard nothing since then.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       I met a man who wasn't there.