Re: Freedom to modify other literary work, was: [...GFDL...] documentation eq software ?

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> Please stop cc'ing me.  Read the code of conduct.

Can't your mailer delete duplicate? I do not want to be guessing
whether the person I'm replying to subscribed to the list each time I
send a mail to the list.

> On 2003-08-29 17:32:33 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > But describing a software is not the most interesting thing. While
> > describing and analysing a book is the most interesting thing you
> > can do with a book (apart from reading it, obviously).
>
> I disagree.  I think editing a book in all its many ways is the most
> interesting thing, not describing and analysing it.  Do you learn more
> when you edit something, or when you read it?

Definitely when I read it. If I read books, it's mainly because it's a
way to share knowledge.
You can edit a book only if you got some knowledge to share.
And if you got some knowledge, you can wrote a book too. If you think
it's important to do a collaborative work, you can do a book with
someone. What's the problem?

> > You cut my message at the wrong place, where I explain why I say
> > it's pointless.
>
> Sorry.  I did read the rest of it, but I have to cut it somewhere and
> that seemed like a good point.  I don't agree that thinking about a
> book is modifying it any more than thinking about a program is
> modifying it.  Maybe it is in a way, but it's not what we normally
> mean.

Sure, normally we only speak of software because with the books it's
not really a big deal.
If someone explains you what is free software, do you need to be
granted to reuse his speech? You don't: if you understand him, you can
regive his speech at the infinite.

If we were about to make a license for everything, speeches would be
licensed too...

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: