Re: Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Fedor Zuev <fedor@earth.crust.irk.ru> writes:
>  If we would have the old, 1904-1912-style copyright laws,
> there would be much less problems with copyright.
>
> 	For example, the computer software become copyrightable only
> in the late 70-s - early 90-s, after 30+ years of free existense.

And if that were not true, it's unlikely we'd have the Internet Age as
we know it. If there were no copyright law on software, there would
be few general purpose computers available to consumers, because no
company is going to write a program, just for eveyone else to copy it
legally as they will. (You'll note that few companies release code
under the BSD, except hardware companies.) Much better to produce a
dedicated word processor that's much harder to copy.

It's not a change to the spirit of the law; it's a change to the letter
of the law to deal with new issues.

Do you want a free e-mail for life ? Get it at http://www.email.ro/