Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 10:21, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Several Debian developers have claimed that they are working with the
>     FSF to make the GFDL DFSG-free and GPL-compatible, specifically:
>
> I think I see two misunderstandings here.  Just who has misunderstood,
> I cannot tell.
>
> First, as far as I have heard, Debian has not yet voted on the
> question of which GFDL-covered documents to accept.  I have therefore
> been trying to convince Debian developers that the GFDL is a free
> license and should be accepted.  Has Debian actually made this
> decision?
>
> Second, the FSF is not working on changing the GFDL now.  We intend to
> continue to use invariant sections that cannot be removed, as we have
> always done.  The only issue being considered (if it is still being
> considered) is what decision Debian will make about use of the GFDL.

Thank you for clearing this up.

You are correct that Debian has not yet voted on whether or not to allow
GFDLd works into its distribution. The consensus of debian-legal is that
works under the GFDL does not meet the DFSG.

This means if they are to be included in Debian, amendments will need to
be made to the Social Contract, and some sort of "Debian Free
Documentation Guidelines" outlining the necessary freedoms for
documentation needs to be proposed and voted on.

No one has yet done this, for various reasons.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>