Re: A possible GFDL compromise

[Disclaimer: the use of "we" in this mail refers to the majority
consensus as I perceive it; there are always dissenters in Debian on
any issue]

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 08:09:53PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The goal of invariant sections, ever since the 80s when we first made
> the GNU Manifesto an invariant section in the Emacs Manual, was to
> make sure they could not be removed.  Specifically, to make sure that
> distributors of Emacs that also distribute non-free software could not
> remove the statements of our philosophy, which they might think of
> doing because those statements criticize their actions.
>
> Changing the GFDL to permit removal of these sections
> would defeat the purpose.

I believe we are all quite aware of this. Much like people who
distribute proprietary software, you are willing to trade certain
freedoms[0] for something which is of value to you[1].

It is not of value to us, and we are not willing to trade our freedom
for it.

Ironically, this is having the opposite effect to that which you had
originally desired. Because these sections have been made invariant
and non-removable, we now want to remove them (even if that means
removing the entire manual). If they were not, then we would almost
certainly be content to let them stay.

[0] To modify the work for any purpose
[1] The forced inclusion of GNU propaganda

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |