Re: Is the GNU FDL a DFSG-free license?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:28:29PM +0200, Joerg Wendland wrote:
> The point is, I think that there are circumstances where having
> invariant sections are _necessary_. When I am writing a report with a
> conclusion that contains my very personal opinion, I as the author do
> not want anybody to change that section, write anything into it that I
> do not agree with. The readers of that modified version will think it is
> my opinion they are reading thouhg it is not and may be even contrary to
> mine. What does that mean? When I am free to say what I want (freedom of
> speech, one of our highest goals!) I do want to keep to my words and do
> not want anybody to put words in my mouth I would never say.

You skip over the biggest problem with invariant sections, which is
that they're not removable.  In your scenario, you're requiring everyone
who uses any part of your report to also include your very personal
opinion about the original version.  And here I thought it was
very personal :)  Why would you require this?

Richard Braakman