Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, John Goerzen wrote:

> One of the main sticking points with the GFDL is the use of invariant
> sections

But not the only sticking point, I'm afraid.

> I suggest that even if the GFDL did not allow modification of the invariant
> sections, if it at least allowed removal of them, we would be in much better
> shape.

Vastly better shape.  I still believe the other problems with the GFDL
would render it non-free, but at least it wouldn't be as bizarrely
contrary to what I thought the FSF stood for.

> What do people here think about that, and is there any indication if the FSF
> would be amenable to this change?

Aside from one secondhand comment on this list, I've seen no indication
that the FSF is amenable to any discussion of possible changes.