Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 04:33:05PM -0500,
 John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote
 a message of 102 lines which said:

> I will grant that these definitions are imperfect and improbable
> arguments could be lodged against them; at the same time, I believe
> that reasonable people not engaging in a Jesuit exercise to find
> logical needles in a haystack of common sense are able to tell the
> difference between a manpage and a C source file.

<aol>I agree completely</aol>. Legal issues are not binary, unlike
what many computer scientist seem to believe. Laws are often not
0-and-1s, because they have to adapt to many real-world situations and
they should not be too formal, otherwise, technological or social
changes could make them obsolete a long time before the Parliament has
any leisure to update them.