Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
>> Please substantiate this.  UK law explicitly says that computer programs
>> are literary works with the exception that moral rights do not subsist.
> You're saying it yourself. 'With the exception that...'

1. Other jurisdictions allow moral rights to exist over programs, so
this exception appears local and arbitrary.
2. That UK law is talking about programs, not software.  Moral rights
exist in UK law for other software that can be copyrighted.
3. If the FDL protects moral rights while GPL does not, how can the GPL
be used for jurisdictions allowing moral rights over software?

[...]
> It is agreed upon by international agreements, at least if I remember
> correctly from school.

Please quote the appropriate agreement.  (Sorry, but I have grown very
sceptical about unsubstantiated claims in this debate.  I'd love to see a
hard basis for the belief that documents need special treatment, really.)

[...]
> The DFSG was written with software, not documentation, in mind.

Documentation that Debian may distribute is a subset of software, as it
is all stored by hardware.  I think that if you want to narrow Debian's
apparent current definition of software, you need a GR.  For a GR, you
probably need the stuff I keep asking for.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at