Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:07:34PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Documentation that Debian may distribute is a subset of software, as it
> is all stored by hardware.  I think that if you want to narrow Debian's
> apparent current definition of software, you need a GR.  For a GR, you
> probably need the stuff I keep asking for.

I am becoming increasingly skeptical that such arguments and definitions
are forthcoming.  The software-is-not-documentation crowd's goal does
not appear to be to foster an understanding or elucidation of anything.

The goal appears to be to undermine the decision-making process of the
participants of the debian-legal mailing list, for reasons which are not
entirely clear (and probably not unanimously shared among the group),
but which may include rubberstamping the proclamations of the Free
Software Foundation regarding what freedoms are "adequate" for
documentation, and inclusion of every RFC ever published by ISOC in
debian/main.

Because, of course, having the RFCs in debian/non-free (or, God forbid,
available on the web from dozens of locations) just isn't good enough.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The only way to get rid of a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       temptation is to yield to it.