Re: Should our documentation be free? (Was Re: Inconsistencies in

"Joe Moore" <joemoore@iegrec.org> writes:

> Joe Wreschnig said:

>>> In other words, it is not at all harder with documents under the GFDL,
>>> than it is with source under BSD, or the [L]GPL.
>>
>> You can extract the BSD-licensed code from the proprietary code, and
>> use only it. There's no requirement in the BSD-licensed code that you
>> must distribute proprietary code that it was linked to at one point.
>
> And that is exactly the same as what is required by the GFDL.
>
> If you know that paragraph X was in the FooWare manual before EvilCo added
> its invariant section, then you can distribute paragraph X without EvilCo's
> invariant section.  (assuming you fulfill the rest of the requirements of
> the GFDL invoked by the FooWare manual from before EvilCo's modification)

That's not true.  The BSD license is granted to all third parties, so
if I find a section of some proprietary code I know was written by
UCB, I can just take that section.  The GFDL is a license only to the
recipient, so in order to take a free section from an older version,
I'd need to have received that version.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu