Re: Should our documentation be free? (Was Re: Inconsistencies in our approach)

Claus Faerber wrote:
>Maybe that's the solution to the GFDL problem: Allow documents that
>come under a GFDL licence if the only immutable parts are licence texts
>or author statements.
Close but not quite right.

We don't mind the copyright statment *for the work* or the license *for the work*. If the GFDL'ed work contained the GFDL as its only invariant section, that might conceivably be OK (apart from the other problems with the GFDL).

But there's no reason to allow a GFDL'ed work to contain, as invariant sections, other arbitrary licenses (or copyright notices) which don't apply to the GFDL'ed work. (For instance, many GNU manuals contain copies of the GPL version 2 as immutable sections. If, for instance, the GNU Make manual was heavily modified to create a BSD make manual, it would have to retain such sections, even though BSD make is not licensed under the GPL...)

Anyway, even if this was the 'solution', we still *must* kick the GCC and GNU Emacs manuals out of main.

I don't understand why that hasn't been done yet.