Re: migrating away from the FDL

Op za 19-07-2003, om 22:40 schreef Florian Weimer:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:
>
> > No, this is not a mail about large-scale bugs I intend to file about
> > packages using the FDL. It's about 'how do I relicense stuff in non-FDL
> > licenses'.
>
> The next logical step is 'how do I rename Debian GNU/Linux' to 'Debian
> Linux', I presume.

No, it is not.

> To my knowledge, only a very vocal minority of Debian Developers
> argues for the removal of documentation licensed under the GFDL (and
> even their views are far from consistent).  You guys might be putting
> the future of the project at risk, without actually realizing what you
> are doing.

Please do not consider me part of that 'vocal minority', as you describe
it.

It may not be my opinion that the FDL is suitable for things I,
personally, wrote; that does not mean I consider it entirely non-free.
In a similar, although opposing way, even though I certainly do consider
the BSD license a free license, I would not consider it suitable for
things I, personally, write.

In fact, I have been considering one point the GNU project has pointed
out by creating the FDL: the fact that software on the one hand and
'normal' writings on the other hand are two completely different things.
I believe that many Debian Developers agreed with the DFSG because they
are the Debian Free Software Guidelines, not the Debian Freeness
Guidelines, or sth similar.

However, since I'm currently still forming my opinion on that subject,
I'd rather not discuss it -- at least not yet.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a