migrating away from the FDL

Hi guys,

No, this is not a mail about large-scale bugs I intend to file about
packages using the FDL. It's about 'how do I relicense stuff in non-FDL
licenses'.

In the past few years, I wrote some manpages and one larger document
which I all licensed under the FDL. Although I did not read the FDL's
text at the time, due to the fuzz I heard being made about the FDL I
recently did so, and although I do not agree with all the arguments I've
seen in this mailinglist's archives, I certainly do agree with some of
them. As a result, I want to relicense all my FDL-licensed documents
under another license (GPLv2).

My question is: what's the right way to do this? If all contributors
agree, can I just drop the FDL from my 'legalese' paragraphs, replacing
it with a reference to the GPL, or do I have to mention the fact that
previous versions were licensed under the FDL? Do I have to wait for a
new update of those documents, or can I just go ahead and change the
license without changing the licensed text?

Any insights would be appreciated.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a