Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 07:47:32PM +0100, J.D. Hood wrote:
> I suggest that the definition of 'preferred form for
> making modifications' be information-theoretical.
>
> When source code is compiled into binary code there is a
> loss of information, as indicated by the fact that you
> cannot get the original source back, given only the binary
> code.
>
> On the other hand, if there is a set of different forms
> each of which is convertible into the others by means of
> freely available tools then any member of the set is as
> good as any other.

What if the program is written using proprietary tools and formats,
and translated into commented, maintainable C/java for release?

(Not a straw man; the technologies are being developed and we're going
to start seeing them over the next few years. One-dimensional text is
not the most effective representation of a program, it's just the
easiest to implement)

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK