Re: MySQL licensing and OpenSSL linking issues

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:25:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:39:23AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> > Attached and below you'll find the recent plans of MySQL regarding
> > their licenses. I would think that this is sufficient for the
> > Debian project. If not please scream loud now! :-)
> [...]
> > > Here is our initial plan to fix the problems that been created by the
> > > change in licensing.

> > > We are considering offering a blanket exception that will allow MySQL to
> > > be used in combined works where the combined work is licensed under one
> > > or more OSI approved licenses.
> [...]
> > > Can you see problems with this approach?

> Yes!

> What happens if OSI ever decides to yank their approval from a license,
> what happens then?

> I think MySQL is best advised to draft license terms that require as
> little reference to certifications and proclamations of third parties as
> possible.

Would it be reasonable to ask them to "snapshot" the OSI license list
with every release?  This would ensure that the permission to link isn't
retroactively revoked by a third party, while saving MySQL AB the work
of coming up with their own definition of what they consider acceptable.
As long as this is a list of *additional* linking permissions, and the
contributors are ok with this sort of license, I don't see any reason
why this couldn't work.

Other than that issue, I think this would nicely address Debian's needs.
I'm pleased to see MySQL AB taking this step to clarify the license of
the client libraries.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer