Re: MySQL licensing and OpenSSL linking issues

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:39:23AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Attached and below you'll find the recent plans of MySQL regarding
> their licenses. I would think that this is sufficient for the
> Debian project. If not please scream loud now! :-)
[...]
> > Here is our initial plan to fix the problems that been created by the
> > change in licensing.
> >
> > We are considering offering a blanket exception that will allow MySQL to
> > be used in combined works where the combined work is licensed under one
> > or more OSI approved licenses.
[...]
> > Can you see problems with this approach?

Yes!

What happens if OSI ever decides to yank their approval from a license,
what happens then?

I think MySQL is best advised to draft license terms that require as
little reference to certifications and proclamations of third parties as
possible.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The key to being a Southern
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Baptist: It ain't a sin if you