Re: Outcome of PHPNuke discussion

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Martin Schulze wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I'm totally lost in the discussion.  Do we (=Debian)
> buy the statement from the FSF that the copyright notice at the
> bottom of any phpnuke-generated page must not be removed and that
> this is not a new restriction to the GPL?

There was a statement from the FSF to this effect?  There was a statement
from the PHPNuke author, but it wasn't clear whether this is a new
requirement on top of the GPL, or if he interprets GPL2c to require this
somehow.

D-L consensus seemed clear that this requirement makes PHPNuke unfree and
it doesn't belong in main.

There is not consensus (that I've seen) on whether it's distributable at
all (i.e. whether this requirement conflicts with the statement that the
software is released under the GPL, or whether PHPNuke has a new license
which is like the GPL but includes this restriction).