Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:20:11PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> >     The Wikipedia used the GFDL because it was recommended by the FSF.
> >     They used it in its natural way.  And then they got burnt.
> >
> > I fetched those pages, anxious that they might have had a serious
> > problem, but when I saw the contents I was relieved.  They were just
> > discussing whether they are better off using or not using invariant
> > sections, and how to use them.  Words like "burnt" do not fit the
> > situation.
>
> I'm not sure if the gravity of the situation really conveyed itself.

RMS already said he didn't think they had a serious problem, and has on
multiple occasions accused us of blowing the problems with the FDL out
of proportion.

Perhaps the best thing to do is contact someone from the Wikipedia and
ask them to summarize the situation in a mail to RMS, and relate to him
whether or not they felt "burnt", or perceived a threat of inconvenience
large enough to cripple their project.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The greatest productive force is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human selfishness.