Re: Does mplayer has PATENT problems that stop it from going into debian?

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 03:19:29PM +0200, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> Hello,
>  Does mplayer has patent problems that stop it from going into debian?

The only discussion of patents I can recall relating to mplayer was in
the context of the d-devel flamewar where upstream tried to argue that
other potentially patent-infringing video software should be moved to
non-free.  This was a false analogy, since patents were never the cause
of the concerns about mplayer; and to my knowledge, none of this other
software has been moved from its place in main due to patent issues.
Unless you have a specific patent that you believe is being actively
enforced (and upstream should know this, since their distribution of the
software would also be infringing), I would assume that it's safe to
include in main.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer