Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:08:36PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > So we had to search for ways to make sure that our message saying
> > non-free software is wrong would at least be present in the GNU
> > packages that they redistribute.  We did this by putting invariant
> > political statements into programs and manuals.  In programs, these
> > statements are included in the license text, in the preamble to the
> > GPL.  In manuals, they are separate sections.
>
> I'm sure that no Debian developer will object to a blurb about the
> importance of freedom for software. Noone here will regret his
> inability to remove that blurb.

Uhm, yes we will. Somebody already mentioned the case where you are
trying to create a reference card containing excerpts from the
documentation, but suddenly have to drag around several pages of extra
crud. It's exactly the same practical problem as posed by the old BSD
advertising clause.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK