Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I hope Debian won't adopt your views, but if it does, it won't be the
> first disagreement between Debian and the FSF.  Debian wrote its own
> definition of free software which is different from ours.  We also
> disagree about Debian's practice of distributing and recommending
> non-free software.

I would point out that the FSF has rewritten its views as well.  For
example, I protested that the FSF's acceptance of invariant sections
contradicted its own reasing in the "why free manuals are important"
document; the result was that the FSF changed the document.

Debian insists that all which it distributes be free, under a single
definition which does not require asking whether a given bit of text
is "technical" or "political".  Can you help us find a suitable
definition for that?