Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> Scripsit tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> > Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
>
> > > No he can't. His placing Emacs under a free license, aside from his
> > > numerous writings about software freedom, clearly imply that his works
> > > have no intrinsic artistic character that could possibly be violated
> > > by any third-party modification.
>
> > This is horrid.  I believe quite firmly that my work has an intrinsic
> > artistic character.
>
> Sure. But do you believe that the intrinsic artistic character it has
> is one that could be violated by a third-party modification?

In so far as *any* work has artistic character that can be so
violated, yes.

In other words, whatever kinds of violations there are for other works
apply just so to the artistic value of software.  Someone turning a
nicely written program into a pile of spaghetti code, for example,
would be just such a degradation.

Thomas