Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:22:06PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I agree with all your points.  I think we should move forward moving
> > those docs to non-free.  It'll mean a few packages from non-free on my
> > systems, but if that's what RMS wants it's not a huge deal for me as
> > long as they are still available.
>
> Let's not forget that there are at least four cases where manuals can
> stay in main if we're willing to dust off older versions of them (gawk,
> gdb, make, and texinfo).

That decision would be up to the maintainer, wouldn't it?

I'd suggest that the old version go in main, and that the new version go
in non-free.  The non-free more uptodate one could be setup to supersede
the older free one once installed (if the content is at all different,
otherwise don't bother with it).

Peter