Re: Licensing of shareware quake data

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Alan Woodland wrote:
> > Im looking into packaging quake 1 for debian at the moment
>
> Quake 1 was in debian before. I forget why we dropped it, but I think it
> had little to do with licensing and a lot to do with the maintainer at
> the time. Anyway, I'm pretty sure this license was discussed a/ long time
> ago, and looked ok then. We may have even contacted Id back then and
> gotten some kind of clarification. Not that a second look is a bad idea.

I couldn't find any discussion in the archives.  Do you have a link?

As for the actual license, I think that the intent is for Debian to
fall under the scope of a "Provider", but I'm not completely convinced
it does.  Clarification would be nice.

As for the last sentence in part 6:

  Further, ID grants to you, the end-user, the limited right to
  distribute, free of charge only, the Software as a whole.

It only applies to end-users, and Debian is certainly not an end-user.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu