Question on wxWindows packages

I came across the following while reading the wxWindows documentation (from the
wxwin2.4-doc package):

We also acknowledge the author of XFIG, the excellent Unix drawing tool, from
the source of which we have borrowed some spline drawing code. His copyright is
included below.

XFig2.1 is copyright (c) 1985 by Supoj Sutanthavibul. Permission to use, copy,
modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any
purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice
appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission
notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of M.I.T. not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software
without specific, written prior permission. M.I.T. makes no representations
about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is''
without express or implied warranty.

This text can be found at the following URL after apt-get'ing wxwin2.4-doc:
file:///usr/share/doc/wxwin2.4-doc/wxWindows-manual.html/wxwin9.htm#topic6

It is my understanding that requirement to preserve the copyright notice and
persmission notice are something from a BSD-type license.  Is this compatible
with the GPL?  Does this apply to only the documentation package or also to the
others (since the code would be in the library and development packages)?

I am pretty sure that all or most of the wxwindows packages are in the main
part of the repository.  Do they belong in nonfree or contrib because of this?

I apologize if this has been asked before or if I am off base, but I am still
learning my way around Debian.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es